Here are my top 8 reasons why you should market your home during winter:
1. Less Competition – Most sellers don’t put their homes on the market during the last or first couple of months of the year. So, if there are buyers in your local market, you may be at an advantage selling when most sellers are waiting.
2. More Time to Get Top Dollar – With less competition, by marketing your home early you may be able to secure a higher price. While the buyer may have had thirty homes to compare and choose from in June, there may only be ten homes that fit their criteria in January. If they are motivated to buy, they will choose one of those ten homes.
3. January is the Biggest Transfer Month – Did you know that more corporate moves happen during the month of January than at any other month of the year? Corporate transferees, who need to buy a house now, simply cannot wait until spring.
4. More Serious Buyers – you may have fewer showings but more qualified buyers.
5. Better Timing – By selling your house during the winter you may have the opportunity of “first dibs” on the plentiful spring inventory.
6. Homes Show Well During the Holidays – The holidays are a great time to show homes because they feel warm decorated inside and out.
7. Showing Flexibility – Enjoy your holidays. Rather than pull your house off the market and miss a good prospect, change the showing procedure to require advance notice or restrict showings when you have company. Buyers will understand. (Just be aware of the limited time relocation transferees have to see properties.)
8. Changing dynamics in home buyer searches – justifying not listing in winter because there are less daylight hours, and bad weather inhibits buyers from wanting to see homes is not relevant as it was in the past. According to the National Association of Realtors, nine out of ten home buyers search for homes online – at their workplaces, on their smart phones, and from the comfort of their homes after dark.